Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From MM to NASA (My Story)
The day was 24th October 2011, it seemed like an ordinary Friday afternoon but little did I know that on this day, my life would change forever. I just got back home from a long day at school only to notice that there was a strange new device in our living room. It was a pretty dull looking device, but it had green flashing lights which looked cool. After some time, I found out that it was a DSL modem. My house now had unlimited access to the worldwide web.

I always had a thing for computers and tech, but the internet in my country was freaking expensive. At the time, my dad used to pay around $350/mo for 1mbps. Having this modem at my house meant that I won't have to pay for shit to go online.

From that day, I explored the internet day and night. It wasn't long before I learnt that I could play some of my favourite games online for free. I hopped on to YouTube, watched a bunch of how-to videos and got my GTA SA online.

After many hours of server hopping on the hosted tab, I landed on Mini-Missions. I'm not really sure what it was about the server, but it had a good vibe. Eventually, I became a regular on MM and even started to get to know some of the players. I first joined the server towards the end of 2011, and in 2013 I applied to become a moderator. Lucky for me, the management team took a chance on me, and that's how I become a moderator. (yay!)

This job was honestly the best job I could possibly have at the time. The idea that I could type a command and cause someones PC halfway across the world to do something made me feel sort of, powerful, you know... Some Russian dude talking shit in the chat? TAKE THIS /MUTE MOTHER F*CKER. Some dude speed hacking while I'm trying to win the race? /CAGE > /EXPLODE > /BAN B*TCH.

I was getting more and more power-hungry, and I figured I wasn't going to be given any more power unless I knew how to do more technical stuff. I just thought the best thing for me to do at this point was to learn how to code. So I hoped on to YouTube, watched a bunch more how-to videos and started to learn how to code.

Eventually, time went on, and it was now 2016. I was in my last year of high school. Final exams were approaching, and so I couldn't spend time any more time on MM, so I quit. During this time, I also started applying to a bunch of A level schools. In my country, you could go straight from high school to uni, but A level schools make it a lot easier to get into UK & US unis. In my applications to these schools, I wrote about my admin duties at MM, just because why not.

These schools usually don't respond until months after you sent in the application, but one day, I received a call from the owner of one of these schools.

He was like "Hey we're setting up a robotics team to compete in an international robotics competition. We heard that you're good with computers, would you like to try out to be our teams' programmer?"

My. Mind. Was. Blown. I immediately accepted the offer and moved to meet the rest of the team and start building the robot. Before this, none of us had any experience in robotics, so we were kinda winging it (again, thank you YouTube). After about 3 months, we were done building. The competition was going to take place in Washington, DC. Our team captain, who was a freshman at Harvard got her school to pay for our travel and living expenses, and in May 2017, we flew to DC.

Each country had a team representing them, and so we were repping our country. Kinda like the Olympics. When the competition was done, we emerged position #5 out of 164 countries in our category, which was great. While we were in DC, our team even got invited to NASA's HQ to meet an astronaut.

Our team captain, who was responsible for organizing the team, was later invited to Buckingham Palace to meet with the Queen. She was given the Queens Young Leaders Award for the whole ordeal.

Not many people here know this story, but I felt that I needed to tell everyone because none of this would be possible without you guys.

The Mini-Missions community has always been one where noobs like me felt welcome.

The reason why I decided to become active again is because this server has done so much for me and so I want to do my best to give back. If it wasn't for you guys, my life would be a whole lot more boring. This server and people have influenced me so much, and I just wanted to say thank you. But not only to say thank you, but I also want to do everything in my power to MAKE MM GREAT AGAIN!

ANYONE WHO DOESN'T BELIEVE IN THE VISION CAN F*CK OFF!

[Image: UtvRZxu.jpg]
Quite encouraging story, but... IsN't ThE wOrLd FlAt? :v
[Image: s.php?acc_id=118882&color=3]
coolstorybro.jpg

Also, flat-earthers need to hang from trees
[Image: JhAmrmt.png]
Props to you that didnt forget where you started.
I also started around 2008 with name Rosolinio. The name of the server looked very unique among others and I joined. And here I am 12 years later.
Also, time to show off with my collections???
[Image: DeviantArt_Logo.svg]
Congrats, Daywalker. Though for a moment, I thought it was a fanfiction story about going to space just by playing GTA. Then once you landed on the moon, you enter a house at the end of the crater, and Big Smoke bursts in, "YOU PICKED THE WRONG HOUSE, FOOL!"

That is, of course, before I saw the NASA memorabilia. Fantastic work, and welcome back.
[Image: 2tLyL38]
One thing can lead another good thing. Well that's very impressive and inspiring story. Smile
I wish i can work on NASA one day but you need to put extra-extra-extra effort and study.(Since I'm learning Astronomy and want to master) If i go, i will show my pic front of NASA with MM logo opened xD
Very impressive path your life has taken.

My life has taken me, roleplay clan - Sumo - Son of Mini Missions - Sumo - Mini Missions - Sumo Standalone Game (in dev). I think you're doing better than me Sad
i really loved reading your story daywalker small things can change your life to better life mm is great server and people here so nice like second family and you're always welcome here bro keep going and never quit.
[Image: MMLogo.png]